Family Ties Association’s Youth Mentorship program provides one-to-one support, recreational opportunities, access to community resources and supports and counsel to Youth.
Youth Mentorship is a Community Based Program which focuses on enhancing social/relationship building skills, life skill development, increasing a child/youth’s awareness and problem solving abilities regarding safety matters and connecting children/youth to their community. This Program is relationship based which uses strategies that include but are not limited to guidance, encouragement, monitoring, and providing feedback to support the children/youth services to promote optimal development.
- The resolution of the problems that necessitated placement;
- Living-skills teaching (e.g. personal care, safety, bullying, etc.);
- Developing problem-solving, relationship skills, and coping skills;
- Assistance with and support for the resolution of personal issues;
- Awareness and utilization of community resources and social supports;
- The integration of the person served into the family and community; and
- Transition and permanency planning.
Recreational activities are considered a necessary component of Family Ties Association’s Youth Mentorship service delivery. Many recreational activities are a normal part of family and community life and do not require documentation (e.g. outings to the library, the mall, a swimming pool with a lifeguard, etc.).